[EM] Re: Ted's DMC proposal

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Mon Mar 21 16:12:54 PST 2005

At the risk of both complicating the discussion and (again) showing some
ignorance, I think the analogies are not quite precise and possibly not as
intuitive as it may seem.

Everybody understands the concept of grades, but in the classroom situation
all "alternatives" are in the same category and there is a single continuous
function of preference (by the grader). But when as a voter I divide the
alternatives into "those I like" and "those I don't like", I use different
criteria to relate degrees of "like" and "dislike".

This is confusing even me, but what I mean is I think it would be better to
use all A+, A, A-, ... D+, D, D- on only approved alternatives. Just because
my least-approved alternative gets a C- doesn't mean my least-hated
alternative gets a D+. The real gulf between the two is infinite.

The "assuming nobody you can put up with wins, which of the ones you can't
stand would be the least objectionable?" is a different question, and
something within the method should notice the difference. This can still be
one ballot, but to recognize the different cognitive processes at work,
maybe instead of A+, A, A- ... D+, D, D-, ... with a line drawn to separate
the continuous scale it should be something like

The "assuming one of your choices doesn't win, who would be least
objectionable" is equivalent to holding 2 votes at once. I rank (or grade)
all of my approved alternatives, and then get presented with "now rank the
ones you disapprove". Something needs to make that directly transferrable.