[EM] Markus, 16 March, '05, 0603 GMT

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Wed Mar 16 01:38:52 PST 2005

	I've only partially followed this debate, but I'm somewhat curious... Was
Mike the first person to suggest that defeat strength in a pairwise
comparison should be defined by the number of winning votes, rather than
the number of winning votes minus the number of losing votes? If so, when
was this suggestion made, exactly? If not, then who made the suggestion
previously?
	I don't know much of the background here, but it seems that if Mike was
the first to propose this definition of defeat strength for use with
minimax, he should at least receive partial credit for the application of
the same definition to other base methods (e.g. ranked pairs, beatpath).
	Just my two cents about a debate that I don't claim to fully understand.

my best,
James