[EM] Re: San Francisco IRV Ballots - District 9

Greg Dennis gdennis at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 15 13:23:43 PST 2005

just FYI on the San Francisco data . . .

a vote for candidate (number-of-candidates + 1) indicates an "overvote,"
which is a vote for more than one candidate at the same rank. in
District 9 there were only 7 candidates, so a vote for candidate "08"
indicates an overvote. SF counting rules dictate that you ignore the
overvoted rank and all subsequent ranks.

a vote for candidate (number-of-candidates + 2) is an "undervote," a
vote for no candidates at that rank. in District 9, a vote for candidate
"09" was an undervote. in the case of an undervote, SF rules dictate
that you promote all subsequent ranks. that is a vote for "blank 2 3"
should be treated as if the voter selected "2 3 blank".

as for why the numbers don't add up, I'm not exactly sure. my best guess
is that there were 118 ballots with unqualified write-ins that are not
appearing in the summary Eric shows below. modifying your code to do a
simple per-candidate breakdown should answer this.

Greg