[EM] IRV Failures

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Mar 8 06:40:52 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:01:02 -0500 Eric Gorr wrote:

> In a recent conversation with an IRV supporter I asked the question:
>
>  What cases would you accept as failure of IRV?
>
> They answered:
>
>  Where the general public (or a significant fraction of it) failed to
>  accept the results as legitimate, or at least beyond question.  The
>  2000 and 2004 Presidential elections are examples of failed elections.
>  San Franciso's election was heralded as a success.
>
> They also believe that IRV has never failed to produce a fully
> satisfactory result. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary?

Try this one, given general knowledge that:

      A is MUCH more popular than B, and
      C is seen by MANY A backers as a coming replacement for A, so vote is:
           33 C>A
           32 A
           35 B
We are right on the edge:
      B wins, with A nearly twice as popular.
      Let C gain 3 more votes among As, and C wins.
      Let C lose two of its votes among As, and A wins.

If these voters do not realize they should hold a riot when IRV fails to
award A the deserved win, they do not deserve to be holding elections.

Agreed this is a simulation rather than a real election, but it is simple
enough that it could easily happen.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.