[EM] Condorcet-Approval hybrid method

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:25:51 PST 2005

Hi Folks,

I just got an interesting idea. It's so simple that I'll be very
surprised if it has not been proposed before, but I did not see it on
Blake Cretney's methods page.

Why not combine Condorcet and Approval into a hybrid election method?
The voter ranks the candidates, but truncates at his approval cutoff
point. If a Condorcet winner exists he wins, otherwise the winner is
determined from the Smith set using Approval rules, where ranked
candidates and considered approved and unranked candidates are
considered unapproved.

I would tend to oppose allowing equal rankings (except for implied equal
rankings for the unranked candidates, of course). However, a variation
would be to allow equal rankings. Another variation would be to allow
full ranking without truncation but with an approval cutoff point
specified separately from the rankings. For example, I could rank all
eight candidates but somehow specify that I only want to approve the
first three.

How would this method stack up? What would the voting strategy look
like? And has it been proposed before? If so, when and where? Thanks.

--Russ