[EM] ER-Bucklin fails monotonicity

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Jun 29 08:26:58 PDT 2005

Kevin Venzke wrote:
> This seems like a new interpretation. I believe both this
> interpretation and
> ERB(fractional) satisfy monotonicity, since in neither method
> can raising
> a candidate cause any other candidate to get their votes earlier.

Actually, this is the only interpetation I've ever seen in any other
ordered-list context. The "top 40" pop songs, "top 25 sports teams", or
order of finish in contests always picks up the count as if there were no
prior ties. For instance, the recently concluded College World Series final
results are:

1. Texas
2. Florida
3. Arizona State