[EM] ER-Bucklin fails monotonicity, MCA

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 29 08:17:55 PDT 2005

James (and Chris),

Something does occur to me:

> --- James Green-Armytage <jarmyta at antioch-college.edu> a écrit :
> > Yes, this is interesting. However, I suggest that ER-Bucklin(whole) should
> > perhaps be tallied in a different way. In the second example, you assume
> > for tally purposes that D is in 2nd place on the A=B>D ballots. However, I
> > suggest that we should still consider D to be in 3rd place, because there
> > are still two candidates who are ranked strictly ahead of D. If we do
> > this, I think that B still wins.

This isn't consistent with MCA.

By the way, I was only considering ERBucklin for the purpose of some simulations.
I now officially don't like any of the ERBucklin variants. I would prefer
median rating (which is consistent with MCA).

The reason I don't like (fractional) or James' variant, is that they still
depend very much on the number of candidates running and representing each
faction.

Kevin Venzke