[EM] The poll is a good idea--suggestions for a better one

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 17 00:26:17 PDT 2005

Mike,
Regarding the EM Wiki poll on single-winner election methods, you wrote
(Th.Jun.16):

> The number of people voting in the sections is closely related to how
> close to the beginning they are. So the ordering of the methods matters.

That could be a coincidence, or because the methods closest to the
beginning/top have mostly been there longest.

> The first section should be for methods claimed by someone to be the
> best. Within that section, they should be ordered according to how
> many people think so. Default: alphabetical order.
>
> Then there should be a section for methods claimed to be very good.
>
> Then "pretty good"
>
> Then "few or no merit claims"
>
> Then "generally disliked on EM"
>
> If order didn't matter, the classification that you used would have
> been ok.

The problem with this is that the methods would keep moving around
according to changes in the poll numbers and to people changing their
minds as which is the best, etc.

> Enhanced MMPO, the method that I claim is the best, is near the very
> bottom of the ballot.

That isn't why I declined to rate it. Methods with explicit strategy
gimmicks should have their own section that isn't at the top.

Chris  Benham