[EM] Plurality criterion (Oops! X/Y mix-up)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 8 13:41:55 PDT 2005

Chris,

--- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit :
> That of course should have been:
> The "pairwise version" says that  X must not win if  there are more
> voters that rank Y above all the other candidates than there are voters
> that rank X over *any*  candidate.

I should say first of all that I didn't realize you *were* describing a
pairwise version, which is why I responded as though you were paraphrasing
Woodall. I'm really not sure what "rank Y above all the other candidates"
means if not first preferences, though.

> Kevin,
> I'm a bit confused by your response.
>
> >the "pairwise"
> >version can't refer to first preferences or "any" preferences. It just says
> >that if the greatest number of votes against X in some contest exceeds the
> >greatest number for X in some contest, then X mustn't win.
> >
> Shouldn't  the second of  your three "X"s  be  a  Y?  Otherwise, in the
> 49A, 24B, 27C>B  example both A and C would be barred by it.

The "pairwise" version that I know of doesn't use a Y, and both A and C
are actually barred by it.

This criterion is probably known by a different name...

Kevin Venzke