[EM] Plurality criterion (Oops! X/Y mix-up)

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Tue Jun 7 21:47:37 PDT 2005

Mike, Kevin, participants,
In my most recent post (Tue.Jun.7)  referring to the Plurality
criterion, I  mistakenly wrote:

> The "pairwise version" says that  X must not win if  there are more
> voters that rank X above all the other candidates than there are
> voters that rank Y over *any*  candidate.

That of course should have been:
The "pairwise version" says that  X must not win if  there are more
voters that rank Y above all the other candidates than there are voters
that rank X over *any*  candidate.

Kevin,
I'm a bit confused by your response.

>the "pairwise"
>version can't refer to first preferences or "any" preferences. It just says
>that if the greatest number of votes against X in some contest exceeds the
>greatest number for X in some contest, then X mustn't win.

Shouldn't  the second of  your three "X"s  be  a  Y?  Otherwise, in the
49A, 24B, 27C>B  example both A and C would be barred by it.

.

Chris Benham