[EM] RE: Fall Back Approval

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:29:29 PDT 2005

Kevin's probably right.

Here's another idea along the same lines that might lead somewhere:

Safety Approval:

Again ballots are ordinal with equal ranks and truncations allowed.

For any set of tentative approval cutoffs, define a partial order on the set of ballots by saying that ballot X is safer than ballot Y iff  ballot X gives tentative approval to someone that has more tentative approval than any candidate tentatively approved on ballot Y.

Start by giving tentative approval only to the candidates ranked (equally) at the top.

Then lower the tentative approval cutoffs on the least safe ballots (but not below the truncated candidates).

Continue until each ballot that does not tentatively approve the current tentative approval champ tentatively approves all except its truncated candidates.

The basic idea behind this method is that if your ballot approves only candidates near the bottom of the current approval list, then its approval cutoff is too risky.

Note that for both this method and Fall Back Approval, if it turns out that all ballots end up approving all of their ranked candidates, then the result is equivalent to Approval, assuming that voters would rank only their approved candidates.

If it turns out that some of the approval cutoffs end  up above the lowest ranked candidates on some of the ballots, then the voters of those ballots would be pleasantly surprised.

Forest