[EM] suggestion for Approval/Pairwise method

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 2 00:10:37 PDT 2005

I'm up too late again, and I just had an interesting idea. If the
following method has been proposed before, please let me know.

The voters rank the candidates and specify an Approval cutoff. The
winner is then the pairwise winner of the top-two most-approved candidates.

If it doesn't have a name already, let me tentatively call it ATTPR for
Approval Top-Two Pairwise Runoff.

A simpler variation would be to let the voter rank only the approved
candidates, thereby eliminating the need for an explicit Approval cutoff.

Good night, or good morning, whichever the case may be.

--Russ