[EM] small group methods

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Sat Jul 30 20:01:41 PDT 2005

I'm interested in hearing a variety of ideas for voting in small groups where, for example, hands can be raised, repeated balloting is not a problem, etc.

One application I have in mind is text book selection.  At PCC all sections of Calculus 251 must use the same text book.  The math Subject Area Curriculum Committee, the "Math SACC," has the responsibility for selecting the text.  The current practice is to have a subcommittee narrow down the field, and then have the whole Math SACC vote on the finalists.

Another application is for the math hiring committee.  Currently this committee narrows down the field from a hundred or so applicants to a number between ten and twenty to interview.  After the interviews they narrow the number down to something between three and six.  Then the campus dean makes the final decision of who gets hired.

I have other applications in mind, too, such as a group deciding which tourist attraction to visit next when there are several to choose from and only limited time, or a deciding which restaurant to go to, etc.

Forest