[EM] How Approval locks on to the CW in two or three moves.

Forest Simmons simmonfo at up.edu
Thu Jan 20 10:14:45 PST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> Forest,
>
> Interesting stuff; I'll have to look at this for awhile.
> Might be good to mention the operative approval strategy at the beginning
> of these posts, to avoid confusion. You mentioned a few possible
> strategies in your 1/17 e-mail; I'm not quite sure which one you are
> assuming voters will follow in this post, or in your reply to my approval
> scenario #1. If you don't take things slow, slowpokes like me will get
> lost pretty quickly.

Good point. The strategy I'm using is Rob LeGrand's "Strategy A,"
which says to put your approval cutoff next to the current perceived
top frontrunner on the side of her greatest perceived competitor.

In Rob's simulations this strategy has always quickly locked on to the CW
when there is one.

My posting (that you are asking about) is my attempt to explain why
approval Strategy A works so well.

Forest