[EM] Deterministic Districting

Toplak Jurij jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Mon Jan 10 10:04:28 PST 2005

> On 7 Jan 2005 at 17:41 PST, RLSuter at aol.com wrote:
> >> A third point is that there is no way for Proportional Representation
to be
> >> implemented until the legislative process can be scaled up (fairly and
> >> openly) to 500, 1000 or 10000 representatives.  This is a deep issue.

Pure PR could be implemented even with a smaller number of representatives.
What we need to do to come as close to pure PR as possible is to give
representatives unequal powers. That means, not each member of the
legislature should have one vote. A representative representing 3.23% of the
population should have 3.23% of the total legislature's power. If corporate
stockholders use this sort of pure PR (actually it's weighted voting) when
they make decisions, why shouldn't democracies use it?

I proposed something similar to this in regards to congressonal
apportionment in my paper: "Equal voting weight of all : Finally 'one
person, one vote' from Hawaii to Maine?"
http://rcum.uni-mb.si/~jure/reapportionment.pdf
j.