[EM] Re: Deterministic Districting

Ted Stern tedstern at mailinator.com
Mon Jan 10 09:25:01 PST 2005

On 7 Jan 2005 at 17:41 PST, RLSuter at aol.com wrote:
>> A third point is that there is no way for Proportional Representation to be
>> implemented until the legislative process can be scaled up (fairly and
>> openly) to 500, 1000 or 10000 representatives.  This is a deep issue.
>
> It could be implemented easily enough in large population states
> using any of several well-tested PR methods. That would be a
> start. The first thing needed is to repeal the federal law that
> prohibits multi-member congressional districts.
>
> -Ralph Suter

You're right, that was an over-general statement.

In large population states it is doable, of course.

I meant as a general scheme applied at local, state and federal levels.

A proper implementation, in my opinion, (e.g. 5 members per district) would by
necessity have to increase the number of representatives substantially.

At the moment the legislative process is slow, antiquated and even the rules are
controlled by a partisan process.
--
Send real replies to
	ted stern at u dot washington dot edu

Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal