[EM] Explicit Voter Median Elections

Daniel Bishop dbishop at neo.tamu.edu
Thu Jan 27 00:35:22 PST 2005

This method gives official standing to the idea of a linear political
spectrum.  That's probably a Bad Thing, but I'll describe the method anyway.

On the ballot, there are 3 boxes next to each candidate's name:

Mark one:
   [ ] This candidate is acceptable to me.
   [ ] This candidate is too liberal.
   [ ] This candidate is too conservative.

Each candidate is given a score equal to their proportion of "too
liberal" votes, plus half their proportion of "acceptable" votes.  The
candidate with the score closest to 50% wins.