[EM] Why bicameralism ?

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 26 11:06:46 PST 2005

Behind-the-scene deals are among many things often the consequence
of balance of power, usually when well defined groups decide to trade
in their mutual benefit instead of giving their opinion about public
interest...

Yes I understand that human nature will always make a place for an analysis
of personal benefits in taking a decision. But as electoral system
designers,
we can make it harder and less relevant if decision takers cannot be
rewarded (at least electoraly) by decision beneficiaries.

So please state what are those geographical advantages you see,
that an astrological district-based electoral system could not provide.
Please do not forget that even if you a representative is not anymore
elected by a region, he/she still comes from somewhere and thus
have an intimate knowledge of that region.

Stephane Rouillon.