[EM] Re: Condorcet package

Ted Stern tedstern at mailinator.com
Thu Feb 24 11:47:01 PST 2005

On 23 Feb 2005 at 11:42 PST, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>> On 23 Feb 2005 at 01:00 PST, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>>>Counting votes:
>>>     (wv) seems the appropriate choice.  If two voters rank a pair
>>> of candidates (a=b) as equal, then (a>b) and (b>a) should each get
>>> one count.

Hi Dave,

Another point occurred to me about counting equal ranking as a vote each way.

Besides introducing yet another difference between margins and winning votes
(in favor of margins!), you also have the question of how you count unranked
candidates.

In your proposed method, you place unranked candidates at lowest rank.

Say there are 9 major candidates, ranked at 1-9 for by 99% of the voters, and
100 fringe candidates, unranked except by 1% of the voters.

Your tally method would require extra votes in 9900 pairwise matrix locations,
each of the 100 fringe candidates getting one vote against each of the other
99.

Do we really need to confuse the electorate with huge amounts of extra work
and detail in the pairwise matrix?

Better to have a rule that is consistent everywhere, right?
--
Send real replies to
	ted stern at u dot washington dot edu

Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal