[EM] Omission from equilibrium criteria. Renaming.

Russ Paielli 6049awj02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:17:51 PST 2005

Mike mentioned Nash equilibrium to me a year or two ago. I thought it
was interesting, and we agreed to put some material about it on the
website. For whatever reason, the material never came.

Let me also mention that I had suggested to Mike way back that we
provide proofs for his criteria such as SFC, GSFC, and others. Several
readers had requested them. He never sent me any proofs or explanations.

That leads me to wonder if Mike can really prove any or all of his
criteria. He may have posted proofs here on EM, but if he did I don't
understand why he didn't send them to me for the website.

In any case, I must admit that I was naive when I started the website
with Mike. I had assumed that his criteria were more or less widely
accepted by the EM community, but only later did I realize that they may
be a "Mike-only" sort of deal. Perhaps someone here can help me
understand the situation. Are Mike's criteria such as SFC, GSFC, SDSC,
WDSC, and FBC "widely" recognized, or do they live only in Mike's mind?

Finally, a little "friendly" advice to Mike. He probably won't take it,
but the loss will only be his. I suggest that he formally document his
criteria in one or more technical papers and submit them to
peer-reviewed journals or conferences. I don't even know which journals
or conferences would be appropriate, but there must be some. Perhaps
someone can suggest some.

By the way, conference papers are easier to get accepted than journal
papers, but they require travel. Then again, if Mike is really serious
(and he certainly seems to think he is), he should eventually meet some
of his colleagues in person. You can't build a "career" on an email list.

--Russ