[EM] primary election thoughts

Alex Small alex_small2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 00:36:18 PST 2005

So, as I understand, the gist of the proposal is:

1)  If there is a Condorcet Winner
and
2)  That CW has more than 50% approval,

then skip the general election.  Otherwise, eliminate candidates with the weakest support and hold a general election using some suitable method.

That seems reasonable to me.  Some here would probably argue that there's no need for a primary election at all if we use Approval, Condorcet, or some other method suitable for more than 2 candidates.  However, I see some practical value to first thinning out the field and allowing a period of further debate before making a final decision.  The only exception should be when there's a clear consensus in favor of one candidate.  Requiring both majority approval and a Condorcet victory seems a reasonable measure of consensus.

I am not so sure that I like the idea of implementing the approval cutoff at the third rank.  It would make more sense to give voters maximum flexibility by letting them express their own approval cutoff.

Also, I'm not so sure about setting the cutoff for the general election at 1%.  That might let in just about every candidate in most primaries.  I'd be more inclined to say that the top N get in (where N is some number that we can debate).  If one of the candidates decides to drop out then the candidate with the next greatest number of votes can be offered a spot on the ballot.