[EM] Alright, next try. Range voting fix, version 2.

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Thu Dec 8 17:10:16 PST 2005

I'm gonna take another stab at a method that uses the UI of Range Voting,
but tabulates it in a way that makes more sense.  I'll admit, I actually
like the fact that Range Voting collects very "rich" information about voter
preferences, moreso than ranked ballots.  (Of course this is no good if
people have very strong incentive to vote insincerely.  Nor is it good if it
is subject to vote splitting and therefore encourages a two party duopoly,
as it would if significant numbers of people vote sincerely under Warren's
averaging system).

My proposed method of processing Range ballots might not be particularly
practical in large elections, but I submit it as more of a hypothetical.
Maybe it can lead to a more efficient and more deterministic of doing
effectively the same thing, or maybe it could otherwise provide interesting
insights.  Maybe it has some problem (other that those mentioned above) I
haven't thought about.  Or maybe it has been suggested before but I don't
know what keywords to search for....

What I suggest is that, prior to tabulating, each Range ballot be processed
into an Approval ballot.  But, it should be done taking into account optimum
strategy, with knowledge of how others are voting.  You could call this a
"Nash equilibrium seeking" system, as it keeps adjusting Approval ballots
(that is, picking the cutoff point) until a state is reached where no voter
can improve his or her own strategy given that all other people's strategy
stays fixed.  (in reality it is not the voter that is modifying their
strategy, it is the formula that converts the voter's range ballot into an
approval ballot, which can be considered to be operating as an "agent" of
the voter)

Example:  say I rated candidates as follows: