[EM] RE: Approval strategy in close three-way race?

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 16 07:45:26 PDT 2005

At 05:05 PM 8/15/2005, Simmons, Forest wrote:
>Unsophisticated voters might have to rely on the advice of their favorite
>candidate or some other trusted advisor when they don't have a strong
>feeling for approval and disapproval.

So, in 1992, had the voting method been Approval, Ross Perot might have
said, to Bush "If you will recommend that your voters also approve me, I
will recommend that my voters also approve you."

And if Bush had said, "No, thanks," it would have been his responsibility
that he lost....

Perot might still have made a recommendation just before the election, if,
indeed, he had a personal preference for Bush over Clinton. Or he might
have offered the same deal to Clinton....

Any of this would have strengthened the position of the third party. The
claim that Approval will strengthen the two-party system is just bosh. It
won't kill that system, at least not immediately, but it is difficult to
see how it could make things worse. After all, Approval *is* Plurality,
only simplified, a point that is worth repeating. It is simpler to count
Approval ballots than to count so-called Plurality ballots. (Though this
depends somewhat on ballot type and actual counting procedure. Approval
does require something more complex than separating ballots into piles, but
no more complex than is necessary for any multiwinner election, or, indeed,
than any election where ballots have more than one race on them, i.e., most
elections.)

(And I'd say the same for IRV, by the way. IRV is not going to
automatically change election outcomes, not initially -- except in the
relatively few elections where a swing vote makes the decision, common
recently but not so common historically -- but in the long run, it should
help third parties. A little.)