[EM] Center for Range Voting Formed

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Aug 11 16:47:20 PDT 2005

Given that there's potentially more information in a ratings ballot
than in a rankings ballot, one should be able to construct an
election method based on rankings ballots that better serves the
voters than anything that only uses ratings ballots. I'd guess that's
the attraction to 'range voting', or ratings ballots, in general.

Of course, my entrant into the fray for election methods that count
ratings ballots is "Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings". It was
designed to solve those basic flaws in straight rating summation.

http://bolson.org/voting/methods.html#IRNR
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Instant_Runoff_Normalized_Ratings

I still claim it's relatively good, even if nothing's perfect, with
regard to fairness, honesty, and good results.

I haven't been reading the list too closely for the last couple
months, but from skimming it looks like there was some work into
ratings-condorcet hybrids. I ought to go back and look at those some
time.