[EM] Center for Range Voting Formed

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Thu Aug 11 05:32:03 PDT 2005

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi Warren,
>
> I'm interested in Range Voting, since it appears to be popular among
> many electoral reform advocates here.

I too get the impression that it is generally considered among the best
voting method possible, but for one truly fatal flaw. It suffers from
the fact that it encourages dishonest voting. Why? It is one of the
voting methods in which voters are able to effectively vote
strategically with zero information about how the other voters are going
to vote - basically  they merely provide the highest possible ranking to
those candidates they want to see win and the lowest possible ranking to
those they don't. Those not voting this way are at a disadvantage.

This, of course, effectively reduces the method to Approval Voting.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ==
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for temporal safety