[EM] Kevin, co-operation/defection game of chicken. SDSC.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:24:31 PDT 2005

Kevin--

You said that ATLO threateners might not have the upper hand in the
co-operation/defection game of chicken in wv. I claim that they will,
because:

In the game of chicken, morality and ethics affect power.

The animal kingdom provides plenty of evidence of that. The cat or dog who
has legitmately acquired some meat and is in possession of it, vs one that
wants to take the meat. The cat who is defending its own yard against an
intruder. They have the upper hand.

Both the  B voters and C voters could simultaneously apply ATLO. Then both,
in the event of being CW, are protected from defection by the other side.
Both sides will then co-operate. Both using ATLO is the obvious, natural and
stable solution. The defection problem is completely eliminated.

Before the election, the C voters can say "As a matter of principle, we'll
give you A if you defect and try to steal the election from the CW." What
can the B voters say? This?: "As a matter of principle, we'll give you A, if
you try to stop us from stealing the election from the CW." That doesn't
sound as convincing or as powerful.

You said:

But it takes a Condorcet-centric perspective to say that the B voters are
"getting away with something." I doubt B voters will appreciate this
perspective
if it seems that their choices are to 1) give the election away or 2) "get
away
with something."

I reply:

The question is whether the B voters will expect to be able to get away with
it, if the C voters announce that they're going to use ATLO.

You continued:

If you insist on electing the CW, then I agree that you have no choice but
elect somebody awful when the B voters defect.

I reply:

The hope is that, for that reason, the B voters won't defect.

I too  think that SDSC is more important than the Condorcet critrerion.

SDSC may be especially important, necessary,  if, in Approval,  progressives
never have the courage to stop giving a vote to the Democrat. Our scenarios
say that when Nader outpolls Bush, the progressives will realize that they
no longer need to vote for some "lesser" evil Democrat. But what if that
turns out to not be so, when the corruption-owned editorials keep telling
progressives to not risk electing the Republican?

CR seems so much easier to propose and enact, as compared to the good rank
methods, that it's worth a try first. But if it turns out that voters are
unable to stop voting for Democrats, even when Nader outpolls the Republican
in Approval, then it's time to try for a method that meets SDSC and SFC.

That's interesting about SK meeting LNH, as well as WDSC and SFC. I didn't
know that, and it makes SK a good rival to PC. But I don't know which would
be better understood and accepted by the public. Of course my familiarity
with PC could bias my judgement about which would seem more plausible and
natural to the public. If SK were more plausible for the public, that would
further strengthen SK in comparison to PC.

Mike Ossipoff