[EM] One more thing about "Guilty till proven innocent"

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:17:43 PDT 2005

Actually I have no objection to thorough discussion of the comparison of the
faults of IRV and wv before proposing either one. Discussion should be
throrough, no-holds-barred, but should have a reasonable time-limit.

In fact it was I who asked Richie to discuss method-merit with single-winner
reform advocates, instead of just pursuing his project in complete disregard
for what is preferred by people who take the subject more seriously than
Richie and other promoters do. I said, "Let's get our act together before we
take it on the road."

But no, Richie began promoting IRV to the publc, with the result that the
faults of IRV have been discussed in front of a general public audience,
instead of just with IRVists. Sometimes CVD people complain that
Condorcetists and Approvalists are working against reform when they oppose
IRV proposals. But it was Condorcetists and Approvalists who asked Richie to
avoid this situation in which IRV's faults are discussed publicly.

I've never heard of an IRV proposal succeeding where there was any
opposition from Condorcetists &/or Approvalists. IRV failed in Alaska, and
initially in San Francisco. On both occasions, a few of us heard of the
proposal, and sent in our comments. Condorcetists and Approvalists can and
will sink IRV anywhere where they have the opportunity and the time to tell
the people what IRV is like.

IRV has succeeded in a few places where its genuine opposition either hadn't
heard about it or didn't have time to deal with it.

Really, we should have an organization dedicated to finding out about each
IRV proposal in the U.S., or anywhere, and taking turns writing to the
decisionmakers involved in the choice, or getting our information published
in newspaper letters or ballot-pamphlets there, attending forums, etc. We
could fairly divide the time and labor of doing that work. I can't do it
alone.

Don't feel that we shouldn't do that. It was Richie, not we, who chose the
confrontariional nonco-operative mode. If it would make people feel more
productive, we could simultaneously advocate Approval, CR, wv, or Cardinal
Pairwise in those jurisdictions where we're opposing IRV.

But, James, to return to the original topic, IRV is already being
aggressively promoted around the country. Do you seriously suggest that we
should discuss at great length how "badly" wv can fail (in ways that I
consider relatively irrelevant because they aren't strategy problems)? I
suggest that when IRV is being gung-ho promoted by people who don't care
about its problems, this is no time to waste our time debating wv endlessly
before offering it as an alternative to IRV. Yes, as I said, I consider CR
to be a better public proposal, but some suggest that a multi-pronged
approach is good too. I've heard from a lot of people who like wv, including
a state lawmaker who has proposed IRV in his legislature, and was interested
in proposing wv there.

So, James, since it's the IRVists, not we, who are aggressively proposing
something that they don't understand the problems of, maybe it would make a
lot more sense for you to be discussing the need to talk about IRV's
problems instead.

Mike Ossipoff