[EM] Re: Self-contradiction

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:07:55 PDT 2005

James--

You said:

Mike,
	You wrote these two statements in the same posting:

>CR passes the Majority Criterion.
>CR fails the Majority Criterion.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-April/015737.html

	Judging by the context, I don't think that either statement was a mere
typo.

I reply:

No, they weren't a typo. You're right: I contradicted myself. Futhermore, I
was correct to contradict myself, because the statement of mine that I
contradicted was incorrect. James, have you heard of correcting one's
mis-statements? It would be great if you could start doing so.

Maybe you think I should have gone back and changed the incorrect statement
earlier in the posting instead of just correcting it later. Sure, I probably
should have, but let's not clog the federal Supreme Court by adding that to
their caseload too :-)

You continue:

	Apparently you believed that CR passes the majority criterion when you
began to write your reply, but during the course of your reply, you
learned that CR does not pass the majority criterion.

I reply:

You got it! But no, not just "apparently", but explicitly. Here's a clue:
You quoted me out of context. I didnt just say "CR fails MC". I said "CR
fails MC. But I didn't know that before."

You continue:

Perhaps you learned
this from reading the example I provided, where CR fails the majority
criterion.

I reply:

No, not really. Your example was about the fact that Approval and other CR
versions fail FHC.

Non-Approval CR's failure of MC is a separate matter, and that determination
wasn't based on your FHC demonstration.

You continue:

	This suggests to me that you write some or all of your posts in a stream
of consciousness manner, replying to a message bit by bit before you even
finish reading the whole message.

I reply:

What a funny thing to say, coming from someone who usually doesn't know what
he means or what he's saying. Call it what you want if I corrected my
statement that CR passes MC. I"m sorry, but I stand by the rightness of
correcting that statement. Should I have taken the time to go back and
change it? Probably. Is that as bad as your continual mis-statements that
you neve correct? No.

If you're suggesting that I don't reply to you respectfully and
conscientiously, you've got to be kidding, considering the sloppy and
ignorant way that you reply.

You continue:

It also suggests that you do not read
your posts after you write them. If you had, I assume that you would have
noticed and deleted your earlier statement "CR passes the majority
criterion" before sending the message to the list.

I reply:

No, it doesn't suggest that. Where have you been? The fact that I usually
immediately correct my errors (you never correct yours) shows that I read my
posts after posting them. At least I correct them then, when there's an
error, typo or factual.

Maybe you're saying that I should read my posts before I post them. I often
or usually do. Have I occasionally missed something? Sure. You're the last
person who should be saying that someone else should check their posts for
errors. What a joke that is, coming from you.

Mike Ossipoff