[EM] Final Improved Preference Majority Criterion

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:47:20 PDT 2005

Preference Majority Criterion (PMC):

If a set of voters consisting of more than half of the voters prefer X to
each one of the other candidates, then they should have a sincere way of
electing X.

[end of PMC definition]

PMC and James' FHC are ad-hoc criteria, and so it would be understandable if
you don't accept them.

But I claim that, for a majority criterion about preference, and for a
majority criterion in general, what most meaningfully conforms to the intent
of the Majority Criterion is a majority defensive strategy criterion such as
  PMC, written as a majority defensive stragegy criterion. Though PMC  is a
majority defensive strategy criterion, the 5th one, I won't be using PMC
much, because Borda is the only proposed method that I know of that fails
it.

I've always said that Borda is the only proposed method I know of that fails
the Majority Criterion, MC, which is a votes-only criterion. It hadn't
occurred to me that CR fails it. But I now say that Borda is the only
proposed method that I know of (right at this moment, speaking off-the-cuff)
that fails PMC. I"m not saying there isn't another such method, and it would
be of interest for someone to post one, maybe a well-known proposed method
that fails PMC in a way that I didn't notice. PMC is new, and so that would
be understandable.

But even if you reject FHC and PMC because of their ad-hoc nature, that
leaves us with the fact that Approval meets MC, the original votes-only
Majority Criterion.

And, though non-Approval CR fails MC, I claim that it doesn't fail it in a
very meaningful way. Approval passes MC because when you vote X over Y, you
_fully_ vote X over Y. Strategic voters will use CR as Approval. If they'd
fully vote X over Y in Approval, they'd do so in CR. If they want the best
they can get, they'll use CR as Approval. So, as I said, I don't think that
CR fails MC in a meaningful sense.

When it's said that a criterion-failure isn't meaningful, that suggests that
the criterion might need replacing with something whose answers are more
what one would expect. I suggest PMC to replace MC.

A "plurality-inferion" method is a method that, in some way, is known to be
worse than Plurality.

Unless we use James' new ad-hoc FHC, Approval isn't plurality-inferior. If
we, as I claim makes sense, replace MC with PMC, then Approval and
non-Approval CR are both not plurality-inferior. They both meet WDSC  and
FBC. CR version apparently are the only methods that bring significant
improvements without being plurality-inferior. But I fully accept that you
might not accept PMC, because the topic of new majority criteria based on
preference came up because of a particular method, which could make you
question James' motive for proposing FHC, and my motive for proposing PMC.

Mike Ossipoff