[EM] wv & Cardinal Pairwise fail Participation and Consistency.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:12:56 PDT 2005

You said:

Could you please show proof that WV (RP/Beatpath/River) passes
Consistency and CWP does not?

I reply:

Sorry, no I can't prove that because it isn't true. WV and Cardinal Pairwise
both fail Participation and Consistency. In fact few if any rank methods
other than Borda meet those criteria. In my posting I repeatedly spoke of
that as a problem of the rank methods, except for Borda. But Borda has its
own criterion-failure that Plurality doesn't have: Majority Favorite.

My criticism was of all rank methods.

Sure I like wv best, and I consider SFC & GSFC to be valuable. But do you
think that we should be proposing methods that can do worse than Plurality
in some ways? How will it look for us, and for single-winner reform, if they
fail in a way that Plurality can't fail, and if it's a failure that really
looks bad?

There are other criteria that Plurality & CR pass, but the rank methods
fail, such as the simple votes-only version of Independence from Irrelevant
Alternatives Criterion (IIAC):

Deleting a losing candidate from the ballots, and then recounting those
ballots, should never change who wins.

[end of simple votes-only IIAC definition]

Though my favorite criteria aren't votes-only, I've never opposed all the
votes-only criteria. I've often mentioned votes-only IIAC, and pointed out
that Approval meets it. And that, if we accept that as IIAC, then Approval
meets all of Arrow's results criteria, at least as I've seen them written.

And I've never disparaged Majority Favorite or Participation, which are
votes-only criteria.

Can you promise that there won't be a big embarrassment when a rank method
fails that IIAC, or Participation or Consistency, in a big way?

Mike Ossipoff