[EM] James, reply to strategy reply (not to your original Mike: Strategy posting)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:32:18 PDT 2005

James--

You say:

I'm not an imbecile, and if you can't recognize that
fact...

I reply:

But you could start doing your part to make it easier to  recognize that
fact. So far you often haven't been doing a very good job.

But you have a very good point when you say that our voting system is not
something to get adventurous with, when there's any risk of in any way
making it worse.

The fact that all rank methods are going to be worse than Plurality in some
ways suggests that it would be very premature to propose a rank method,
without some serious longterm studies.
But will that be enough?

How can you, a rank-method advocate, using theoretical arguments, assure us
that your method's Participation and Consistency failures won't cause a bad
problem? Are we to risk a possibly worse method just on your assurance? Do
you think that anything short of longterm successful use can assure people
that rank methods' failures won't be serious?

Mike Ossipoff