[EM] Democratic Fair Choice and the set P

Simmons, Forest simmonfo at up.edu
Thu Apr 7 11:14:02 PDT 2005

Both DFC and DMC make use of the set P of all alternatives that pairwise defeat the alternatives that have greater approval.

I would like to define another set which I will call BP consisting of all alternatives that have beat paths to every alternative with greater approval.

In other words, alternative A is in BP iff for each alternative X with greater approval than A, there is a beat path from A to X.

Of course P is a subset of BP, and BP will always include the entire Smith set, as well as the approval winner, and when the latter is a member of the Smith set, BP will be the Smith set itself.

I suggest picking the winning alternative by random ballot from BP, rather than from P when there is serious potential for something like the

49 C
24 B     (sincere B>A)
27 A>B

scenario.