[EM] Advocacy of Kemeny's method

mrouse1 at mrouse.com mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Wed Sep 15 12:57:56 PDT 2004

Steve Eppley wrote:

>Mike R wrote:
>

>>Steven B wrote:
>>

>>>Does this group, or anyone here,
>>>advocate Kemeny's method?
>>>

>>I personally like it the best of all the methods
>>I've seen, except for the "NP-hard" part. I'll
>>advocate it without reservation when quantum
>>computers become available. :)
>>

>The obvious question is, why prefer Kemeny's method?
>What criteria does it satisfy that other methods fail
>that are more important than the criteria other methods
>satisfy that Kemeny fails?

I like Kemeny-Young is because it has many of what I consider "must
have" voting characteristics (Condorcet and Extended Condorcet,
especially), plus it removes voting cycles, is resistant to voting
manipulation, and it orders all of the candidates (useful when more than
one candidate can win or when an elected candidate cannot serve).

Of course, like any voting method there are ways to get illogical
outcomes and it can ignore ballot orders that are "illogical" compared
to the majority (this is how it resists manipulation, so it's a mixed
blessing/curse), and it is extremely difficult to compute for many
voters/candidates. According to
http://condorcet.org/emr/methods.shtml#Kemeny-Young , it's also
vulnerable to compromising, burying, and crowding.

It's not a religious belief, though (grin), so I'm willing to change my
mind in the face of convincing evidence. If there is a method you
prefer, you might show me an example of how Kemeny gets it wrong
compared to your favorite method. Or if you like, you can let me know
what method you think is better and I can try to come up with an example
where Kemeny-Young is superior (though I'm at work <on lunch> now so it
may be awhile, and remember it's an NP-hard problem so no fair piling on
the candidates/voters).

Mike Rouse
mrouse at internetcds.com

PS I would support legislation for any Condorcet-compliant method if it
came up for a vote, since the probable difference between methods that
satisfy that are probably a few percent at best.