[EM] Advocacy of Kemeny's method

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 14 17:36:55 PDT 2004

Mike R wrote:
> Steven B wrote:
>> Does this group, or anyone here,
>> advocate Kemeny's method?
>
> I personally like it the best of all the methods
> I've seen, except for the "NP-hard" part. I'll
> advocate it without reservation when quantum
> computers become available. :)

The obvious question is, why prefer Kemeny's method?
What criteria does it satisfy that other methods fail
that are more important than the criteria other methods
satisfy that Kemeny fails?

If memory serves, Kemeny is the method advocated by
H. Peyton Young advocated in his book Equity In Theory
And Practice.  But Young's argument was flawed, in
my opinion.  He wrote it satisfies a criterion,
local independence of irrelevant alternatives (LIIA),
that's a "slight weakening" of Arrow's independence
axiom, and that is also satisfies a criterion that's
a weakened form of the reinforcement axiom satisfied
by the Borda method.  The problems with Young's
argument are (1) LIIA is a huge weakening of Arrow's
IIA, not a slight weakening, and (2) reinforcement
is of little importance because the rules can easily
prevent a minority from manipulating reinforcement
failures.

It's easy to show LIIA is a huge weakening of IIA,
since LIIA + clone independence is much stronger
than LIIA alone.  Clone independence is important
because clone independence failures are fairly easy
for a minority to exploit.  It's often fairly easy
to find and nominate potential candidates that are
very similar to candidates already under consideration.
And we wouldn't want the rules to prevent minorities
from nominating candidates.  Under Robert's Rules,
for instance, it takes only 2 people to propose
an alternative.

Reinforcement failures can be made moot by simply
requiring that the district boundaries remain
fixed unless a majority votes to change them.
In the simplest case, the rules can require that
the voters not be divided at all, in other words
a single large district.

So why not prefer a method that satisfies LIIA
plus clone independence minus reinforcement?

--Steve