[EM] Pseudo-election reform in California

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon May 31 18:56:02 PDT 2004

I believe that Nebraska and Louisiana use this method, although Nebraska
explicitly eliminates party labels.  Neither state is a hot-bed of 3rd
party activity, suggesting that the method does little if anything to open
the system to more competing options.

(Yes, yes, I know, some on this list will point out that the existence of
third parties is not the only or even best way to judge the performance of
a method.  It's still an interesting metric, however.)

I heard that one reason why David Duke (former KKK Grand Wizard or
whatever D&D-esque title they use) made a splash in Louisiana 12 years ago
or so is this method.  (Undoubtedly there were other factors as well, of
course.)  There was (supposedly) no way that Duke would have won a 2-way
GOP primary against the other Republican, but the GOP was divided.
Meanwhile, a former governor who had gotten in trouble for corruption also
got into the second round.  The state of Louisiana was treated to a race
between a known racist and a known crook.  The crook won.

So let's hear it for Louisiana:  Their politicians might rob you, but only
for color-blind reasons :)