[EM] Pseudo-election reform in California

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Mon May 31 18:48:01 PDT 2004

Hi all,

One of my favorite columnists, Dan Walters, is talking about a new
approach to California's politicized, gerrymandered primaries:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/columns/walters/story/9490344p
-10414306c.html

>  The new plan would have all candidates for office run on one ballot.
> If none got an outright majority in the primary, the top two
> vote-getters, regardless of party, would vie in a general election
> runoff. The system is very similar to the way California fills
> nonpartisan local offices and vacant legislative and congressional
> seats in special elections.

Has anyone heard of this?  It basically sounds like it eliminates
parties, but is still based on plurality.  Any thoughts on whether it
is likely to work, and/or encourage 'median' candidates?  The
justification for multiple rounds, I suspect, is that primary campaigns
will still tend to be lower-profile, and more sectarian, compared to
the fall general election.

At any rate, it is far from ideal, but still sounds like a huge step
forward.

If they *were* willing to consider rank-order voting of some kind, what
would be the optimal method to use for selecting the top-two for a
runoff?

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. <DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>
RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank near Sacramento,
California, dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community and Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto: Ground Rules of Civil Society
<http://RadicalCentrism.org/manifesto.html>