[EM] Who Are We?

Fan de Condorcet condorcetfan at delphiforums.com
Fri May 28 20:15:01 PDT 2004

Brian,

When it comes to election methods, I'm a hobbyist.  I'm also politically
active.  Mostly I do volunteer work for various leftist causes.  My only
support for the two-party system comes in the way of voting for the lesser
of two evils on election day.

I thought it was interesting that Kevin Venske's been writing constitutions
since he was 14; I thought I had been the only kid who did that.  When I was
perhaps 15 some friends and I started model governments, complete with
constitutions and currency.  It seems to me that once when I was conducting
a poll, a friend of mine suggested that there must be a way to count ballots
that list more than one candidate.  The possibility intrigued me, but I
don't remember coming up with any sort of solution.

I'm not sure how I first became aware of the election methods discussed
here.  However, if I remember correctly, my current level interest came
about shortly after the 2000 election.  Also, I remember that I found Blake
Cretney's web site early on and took a liking to Ranked Pairs and Schulze.

Before joining this list, I had a few exchanges with Blake Cretney, Markus
Schulze, Rob LeGrand, and James Green-Armytage.  They were all friendly and
helpful.

CF