[EM] Condorcet strategy

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri May 28 11:35:01 PDT 2004

At 1:05 PM -0500 5/28/04, Fan de Condorcet wrote:
>James,
>
>>  How do you define the runner up? How would beatpath strength translate
>>  into a time-share?
>
>That's a good question, especially since Ranked Pairs and Schulze's method,
>as they're usually explained, don't specify how to determine anything other
>than the winner.  I wasn't very clear.  Sorry about that.
>
>In Ranked Pairs, we could determine the runner-up by locking all victories
>that haven't been contradicted, creating a social ranking, and declaring the
>second candidate to be listed on that ranking to be the runner-up.

Even if you do this, there is no guarantee of a unique second place.

>If Schulze were used to find the winner, then the candidate who, apart from
>the winner, loses the fewest comparisons of strongest beatpaths could be
>declared the runner-up.

I am guessing there are going to be cases here as well where the
second place finisher would not be unique.

The only well supported way of determining a social ordering of the
candidates is the method described by MAM, which utilizes the Random
Voter Hierarchy. Again, the social ordering will not necessarily be
unique. However, it will be defensible.