[EM] Condorcet strategy

Fan de Condorcet condorcetfan at delphiforums.com
Fri May 28 11:26:02 PDT 2004

James,

> How do you define the runner up? How would beatpath strength translate
> into a time-share?

That's a good question, especially since Ranked Pairs and Schulze's method,
as they're usually explained, don't specify how to determine anything other
than the winner.  I wasn't very clear.  Sorry about that.

In plurality, the runner-up is the candidate who receives the second to most
votes.

In Ranked Pairs, we could determine the runner-up by locking all victories
that haven't been contradicted, creating a social ranking, and declaring the
second candidate to be listed on that ranking to be the runner-up.

If Schulze were used to find the winner, then the candidate who, apart from
the winner, loses the fewest comparisons of strongest beatpaths could be
declared the runner-up.

As far as finding a time share goes, here's what I had in mind: Divide each
term into sub-terms of equal length (say, six months).  For X and Y, if X
wins by Schulze, and Y is the candidate who, apart from X, loses the fewest
comparisons of the strongest beatpaths, X and Y are the winners of the
election.  For X and Y, if X and Y are winners, use the strength of the
beatpath from X to Y and the strength of the beatpath from Y to X as input,
and use the Sainte-Lague formula to allocate the sub-terms.

CF