[EM] Efforts to improve on CR's strategy

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 08:31:01 PDT 2004

>Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 21:55:40 -0700
>From: Bart Ingles <bartman at netgate.net>
>IRNR seems equivalent to repeated runoff elections.  In a zero-info
>election with five candidates, where my preferences are A>B>C>D>E, I
>would vote something like:
>
>A(1.0) > B(0.001) > C(0.000001) > D(0.000000001) > E(0.0)
>
>The idea is that subsequent ratings are low enough that they don't
>detract much from my first-choice vote in each round.  And if my first
>choice is ever eliminated, the bulk of my voting power always goes to my
>highest remaining choice.

Bart,

It seems to me that a limitation of this strategy is that if candidate A
is left standing in the last round, then you have very little say in who
A is running against. What if you have very high, and nearly equal,
sincere ratings of A, B, C, and D, and a very low rating for E? Your
highest priority is to ensure that E is eliminated. What then would be
your strategy?

Ken Johnson