[EM] Efforts to improve on CR's strategy

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 00:52:13 PDT 2004

>From: Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org>
>Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 23:49:13 -0700

>>(2) Apply an additive shift to each voter's CR profile so that the sum
>>of the absolute values is minimized.
>>

>With the exception of step 2, I've simulated this.

Step 2 is an obvious zero-info strategy that smart voters will do
anyway, so I think it would make sense to make it automatic.

>On this graph it's labeled "Rated Vote, equal sum":
>http://bolson.org/voting/graph/v10000/e0_17.png
>
>It doesn't stand out on the graph, but it's in with the cluster of
>things at the top which are very near to maximizing social utility.
>But, that's with simulations of voters casting honest ballots.

Does "honest" really mean honest? - no zero-info strategy? For example,
under Approval, might a voter approve (or disapprove) all candidates?

>As Mike O is fond of saying: given honest ballots, straight CR is
>perfect. So we take steps away from that in order to have a system that
>is more "fair" or is harder or impossible to cheat. I have a mode in my
>simulator that runs a few basic strategies against the election
>methods, but I'm working on adding an AI/ALife system to learn the best
>strategy against each election method. If the AI learns that honest
>votes are most likely to get it what it wants, we win.
>
>Brian Olson
>http://bolson.org/

Have you tried modeling vote correlations based on voters' views on
political issues? (e.g., some voters may vote based on the candidates'
positions on just one or a couple issues, like gun control,
right-to-life, electoral reform, etc.) I got some (unpleasantly)
surprising results when I put this into my simulations.

Ken Johnson