[EM] Re: Jame G.'s & Curt's Strange Prediction About Your Voting

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri May 21 03:57:17 PDT 2004

Mike Ossipoff
You wrote, addressed to me:
> Aside from those questions, you're saying that, because you
> think that those
> majority members might change their mind, and start liking
> their last choice
> better than their compromise--because of that, you would
> disregard the voted
> preferences that they expressed.

Nowhere in my comments will you find any such suggestion.  Do not attribute to me comments I have
not made.

What I did say is that I believe, based on my experience as a practical reformer, that the CW result
and the voting system is likely to be rejected by politicians and the general public alike if they
experience a 49/48/3 election.  I have no problem with the CW being "more representative" or "better
representative" of the voters than the IRV winner in both the 35/33/32 election and in the 49/48/3
election.  But that was not was not the point I was making.  Nor am I arguing against the use of the
Condorcet voting system.  I just genuinely believe our UK electorate (and probably yours) would
reject the Condorcet voting system if they experienced a 49/49/3 result.  I ask again for any
evidence that would show I am mistaken in my view of the likely response of the electorate.  NB I
want real evidence, either from real public elections or from elector attitude surveys.

James Gilmour