[EM] Re: Jame G.'s & Curt's Strange Prediction About Your Voting

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Fri May 21 02:01:01 PDT 2004

Mike, after a long exchange I think that the point I was trying to make
is one you agree with (regarding primaries).

I never said that a voter would change their preference from their
compromise choice to their last choice.  I re-read what I wrote to the
list and I don't read what I wrote that way.  You referred to people
preferring C to B, when C was preferred by the fewest, and would then
decide they preferred B.  I read that as this group of voters having C
as their first choice, and B as their compromise choice.  Not
compromise and last.  It is possible that you've had that argument
presented to you enough times in the past that you just assumed that is
what I was saying, and then overreacted.

I did mean what I said about a voter potentially preferring their
compromise choice to their first choice, after the fact, for example in
the case of a primary that would lead to a general election decided by
plurality.  It sounds like you see that point.

And despite that fact, I definitely did *not* say and do not believe
that this would justify picking a different result than the Condorcet
Winner, in these sorts of elections.  I personally would choose the
condorcet winner even if there were another winner of greater social
utility - because in democratic political elections, I prefer to count
the number of people, rather than the intensity of their desires.  In
the 3/49/48 scenario, I still think the Condorcet Winner is the correct
winner.

My belief is - and you can check the archives for this since I've said
it before - that other voters might see that scenario as a flaw with
Condorcet methods, and I believe it is a potential public relations
problem.

Curt