[EM] James G.'s and Curt's strange prediction about your voting

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Wed May 19 17:34:01 PDT 2004

Mike, that's a straw man.  I agree that your scenario is ridiculous.
It wasn't my scenario, though.

This kind of debate is tiresome - any one of us can choose example
candidates to appeal to biases.  Why not just use Ghandi, McCain, and
Satan?

Two points.  First:

You yourself are on record as saying that you prefer CR to Condorcet if
there isn't tactical voting, to maximize social utility.  I am not
defending IRV, which I consider to be a lousy method.

Bolson just posted a scenario where the social utility winner is
different than the Condorcet winner.  It just so happens that in that
particular scenario, IRV picked the social utility winner.  This is not
the same as saying that IRV is better than Condorcet.  There are acres
of cases where Condorcet is better.  Condorcet is better overall.  But
it is true that in rare cases, IRV will pick a winner with greater
social utility than Condorcet.

Second:

You're trying to argue that if a population votes rationally and a
Condorcet winner emerges, that it will be *impossible* for anyone,
anywhere to regret their vote if their candidate wins, and that it is
ridiculous for myself or James to argue that.

This is wrong.  A perfect example is a primary.  Someone could
recognize after voting, by viewing the vote results, that their favored
candidate does not have as much of a chance against their eventual
general-election opponent as another candidate does.  Even if their
favored candidate emerged as Condorcet Winner, they could regret it
after looking at how the rest of the population voted.

It's a very different example than your example of a Nader-or-Kerry
voter deciding to vote for Bush.

Curt