[EM] RE: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #581 - 8 msgs

wclark at xoom.org wclark at xoom.org
Wed May 19 09:24:03 PDT 2004

Mike pointed out:

James Gilmour wrote:

> It is interesting that several others have commented on these examples
> without, apparently, "seeing" these mistakes.  On my part, was it just
> 12 stupid typos, the effect of the ">" in the margin, or a Freudian
> slip of much greater significance?

It could also be that there are perfectly reasonable (if nonstandard)
interpretations under which either direction can be used to mean the same
thing.

"A<B" might mean B is greater than (better than) A -- or it might mean
that when placing A and B in order, A comes first.

It depends whether you understand the "<" to compare cardinalities such as
utility, or to simply indicate order.

-wclark

--
Protest the 2-Party Duopoly: