[EM] Proxy

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Sat May 15 12:05:05 PDT 2004

Hi Mike,

On May 15, 2004, at 11:51 AM, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:
> So that's 3 reasons why financial disincentive for proxies needn't be
> a problem: 1) Rich proxies; 2) Contributions required to be small, or
> (better yet) contributions whose sum is required to be below a
> specified amount that is just enough to live on, or just enough to
> fairly compensate the amount of work involved--including strictly
> scrutinized and reasonable operating costs; 3) Govt payment of proxies
> on a per-voter basis.

I dunno; perhaps I'm not clear on what problems proxies are supposed to
solve.   By making the decision-making process more fine-grained, I can
see how it could generate more proportional representation among the
decision makers, and avoid some the systematic bias of electioneering.

However, I think Kurt raised a valid point - one which I recall was a
concern of the U.S. "Founding Fathers."  Previously (if memory serves)
Parliament was a ratifying body, merely approving or disapproving of
the king's decrees.   The challenge was how to turn that into a
*legistlative* body for actually creating laws.  That's why they took
the somewhat risky step of two-year elections even for the House of
Reps, rather than annual - to allow a more professionalized approach to
legislature.

I personally think the issue is less about who gets to *vote* on ideas,
than who gets to *define* the options voted on.   That's something
which requires time, expertise, staffing, and coalition building.
Frankly, that's something that I think even our California legislature
(as dysfunctional as it is!) tends to do better than the 'rule-by-voter
initiative' direct democracy of our referendum (as necessary as it
is!).

It sometimes seems to me like we on this list spend a lot of time
worrying about how best to choose among various alternatives, but
relatively little worrying about how those alternatives are articulated
in the first place.    Perhaps I'm wrong - does anyone else think that
is important, and have concrete suggestions for how to improve it?

-- Ernie P.