[EM] (no subject)

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat May 15 00:56:01 PDT 2004

Mike, sounds like we agree that there would be a "market" for
"super-proxies" that would have a lot of voters choosing to use them
for voting.

It also sounds like we agree that these voting issues will need a lot
of hashing out in terms of finding amendments, and coalitions, etc.

The problem with a pure proxy setup, however, is that there is a
disincentive for anyone to adopt the duties of a super-proxy.  Time,
and financial opportunity cost.  If it's all purely ad-hoc, then it
means that someone becoming a proxy would not be compensated for it.
The only people with the resources to become a proxy are the ones that
are already employed in a very similar market as their interest group,
or people that are independently wealthy, etc.

Since there is a disincentive for everyone to vote on every little
issue, and there's also a disincentive towards becoming an even more
occupied proxy, I do not visualize how this would scale.

So while the proxy system and the Direct Representation system are
otherwise similar, it's part of why I like the Direct Representation
system - it's a set number of n members in the legislative body, all of
which have staff - government positions - and will therefore have the
resources to do the necessary legislative work to go from step 1 of
representation to step 2 of consensus building.