[EM] (no subject)

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 18:02:03 PDT 2004

You wrote:

I like that, but one thing that strikes me about it is that it would
still require a person to make a judgment on every issue - whether they
want to keep their proxy, or vote directly, or switch their proxy, etc.

I reply:

Yes, now we have no such decision to make, and so we get to let our
"representatives" make all the decisions for us. I claim that it would be
good to be allowed to make that decision. And we needn't make that decision
on every issue. We could make a blanket decision to leave all of up to our
proxy(ies). Or we could vote only on the most important and controversial
issues, such as the war against Iraq, at its inception, or at its occupation
stage.

By the way, though ordinary the ballot should be secret, anyone voting in
favor of a war should have to accompany that vote with infantry enlistment
and a binding, irrevocable promise to fight in that war, with his/turn in
combat to be in the same order as his/her vote for the war. War advocacy
votes from people unqualified for combat wouldn't count. Anyone could vote
against a war.

You continued:

People like to categorize, and many like to go the
forest-instead-of-the-trees route.  Many would rather just feel like
someone is doing a good job at representing their interests.

I reply:

Good, and such a person could make a blanket choice to just leave it up to
hir proxy.

You continued: