[EM] Direct Democracy vs "Representative" Democracy

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Tue May 11 21:22:11 PDT 2004

I like that, but one thing that strikes me about it is that it would
still require a person to make a judgment on every issue - whether they
want to keep their proxy, or vote directly, or switch their proxy, etc.

People like to categorize, and many like to go the
forest-instead-of-the-trees route.  Many would rather just feel like
someone is doing a good job at representing their interests.

 From that, what would probably happen is that some proxies would end up
amassing a huge number of voters.

The other thing is - if everything is merely voted on, how are the
bills revised and hashed out?  Who does that?

All this points me back to the idea that I'm still really quite
intrigued about - Direct Representation.  The one over on Dave
Robinson's site.  You still have your representatives, but there's a
direct link rather than a geographical one.  That means those interest
groups that are significant nationwide but always in the minority in a
locality (atheism comes most quickly to mind) have representation.  If
any representative falls below the mathematically-designed cutoff point
required to be in the body, then they're voted out, in effect.  People
can switch their representatives when they want, and the
representatives are there to both hash out/amend issues, and also form
voting coalitions.