[EM] Direct Democracy vs "Representative" Democracy

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 20:57:02 PDT 2004

Forest--

You wrote:

But then he [Mike] goes on to say that Direct Democracy (DD) is
on the verge of making PR obsolete.

I reply:

No, I said, or at least meant, that DD has already made PR obsolete.

You continued:

Does anybody really think the House of Representatives is about to go the
way of the Kiwi bird?

I reply:

I only meant "obsolete" in the sense of un-needed. Of course obsolete things
can be kept for a long, long time.

You continued:

I'm not sure exactly what kind of DD he is thinking of

I reply:

Sure, and of course I didn't specify that at all. And sure, some DD systems
would have the disadvantages that you describe below.

You continued:

, but I believe that
most folks (including myself) would rather not be bothered with every
decision of government.  If DD means government by those who have the
leisure and inclination to keep up with all of the options being voted on,
then it means government by atypical citizens.

I reply:

I completely agree. My DD proposal is Proxy DD. Voters have an anonymous
voter registration number. When they vote by telepoll technology, or by
library computer, etc., it's determined whther their number has voted yet.

And the voter can designate a proxy, or even (under one version of the
proposal) a ranknig of proxies. If you don't vote on an issue, then your
voting power on that issue goes to your designated  proxy. If proxy rankings
are used, then if your 1st proxy doesn't vote on it, the voting power on it
goes to your 2nd proxy, etc. Alternatively you could specifly your
permission for your voting power to go to your proxy's proxy if he doesn't
vote on the issue.

So there's representation if you want it, but it's voluntary, individually
chosen, and can be changed aty a moment's notice by the voter. You're not
stuck with a "representative" that you might not even likie.

Mike Ossipoff